BENZALKONIUM CHLORIDE (BKC)
Benzalkonium chloride, also known as BKC, is a cationic surface-acting agent belonging to the quaternary ammonium group. It has three main categories of use: as a biocide, a cationic surfactant, and phase transfer agent in the chemical industry.Standard concentrates are manufactured as 50% and 80% w/w solutions.
- Pharmaceutical products such as eye, ear and nasal drops or sprays, as a preservative
- Personal care products such as hand sanitizers, wet wipes, shampoos, deodorants and cosmetics
- Skin antiseptics, such as Bactine and Dettol
- Throat lozenges and mouthwashes, as a biocide
- Softeners for textiles
- Cleaners for floor and hard surfaces as a disinfectant, such as Lysol